How do you get rid of age spots on your skin? They are so common as we age and most of us would love to get rid of them. Last week I saw a lot of patients in my dermatology office with very crusty seborrheic keratosis. They’re scaly, bumpy growths and most people who have these age spots don’t like them. They look funny, scale comes off of them and they can get caught on clothing, becoming irritated. My patients and I call them skin barnacles because they're stuck on the skin much like barnacles are stuck on things in the ocean!
Skin Care Tricks
What are the crusty age spots (skin barnacles) that grow on your skin as you age?
These barnacles are structurally similar to warts because they’re made up of excessive layers of skin cells from both the living and dead skin layers. The fact that they are made from your outer skin layers means that skin care products can help to get rid of the growths. There are some easy skin care tricks to help control these age spots and last week I spent a lot of time teaching patients how to do this.
The key is to physically buff your skin with an exfoliating product and to use strong alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) products to help soften and loosen these crusty growths. To lighten age spots an AHA product need to be strong. The best AHA for the job is glycolic acid because it’s the best AHA for loosening dead skin cells so that they buff off more effectively.
Done right, it really is possible for almost everyone to have velvety-smooth, hydrated and soft skin again by using skin care creams and scrubs. Yes, you can have skin that doesn't look and feel like it’s covered with crusty barnacles! - Dr. Cynthia Bailey, 60+ year old Dermatologist and Skin Wellness Expert
I am no fan of age spots! My patients and I have put products to the test and I've created the perfect product combo for the job, my Ultra-Fast Body Smoothing Triple Action Kit. It's what I use for my own 60+ year old skin!
Barnacles (seborrheic keratosis) start forming on most of us usually after we’re about 30.
If you have them, you’ll see that they have a "stuck-on" feel and appearance. They’re also typically darker in color than the rest of your skin. They can form on any part of your body, but the most common sites are along your hairline, neck (where they can look like small skin tags), under your breast folds, all over your back and on the outside of your forearm, the backs of your hands, tops of your feet, and behind your knees.
Within days of using a Glycolic Acid Anti-Wrinkle Face Cream you can see brighter and smoother skin tone. Within weeks, you will notice a lightening of uneven skin hyperpigmentation from age spots, melasma or acne scars.
Like a wart, a barnacle happens because your living skin cells grow excessively and form a little mound that’s raised up higher than the rest of your skin. The little mound of living cells then makes excessive layers of dead skin cells (called the stratum corneum), and this is why they feel crusty and stuck on - like a barnacle. It’s the dead cells that we can buff and exfoliate away with powerful, regular, AHA-containing, exfoliating skin care. Occasionally, this exfoliating skin care treatment will also get rid of the little mound of living cells, too.
I have a lot of patients with barnacles and I’m prone to them myself. Over the years, I’ve used a variety of AHA products to control them. I started developing my first body smoothing kit just in time for my 40th birthday - when I grew my first barnacle on my right arm. At the time, the concept of exfoliating skin care was less common. I experimented (on myself as usual) until I came up with something that worked well. It got rid of that barnacle-like age spot and has kept new ones off of me ever since. I’ve since had thousands of patients use this type of regimen successfully. Because it’s strong, it can be irritating to sensitive skin areas, but it’s easily modified to fit almost all skin types.
I've put it all together in my turn-key Ultra-Fast Triple Action Body Smoothing Kit along with complete instructions on how to use the products to soften skin and fight crusty skin barnacles. The Triple Action Cleanser and the Salux Cloth exfoliate skin in the shower using a combination of salicylic acid, glycolic acid, exfoliating beads and a little friction. Apply the Glycolic Acid Body Lotion after toweling dry and your barnacles will slowly start to soften. Skin becomes soft, hydrated and smooth.
I began using the ultra fast body smoothing kit 3 weeks ago on my keratosis (barnacles!) and I am shocked how effective this is. I have tried everything out there with no luck of even slightest change or healing. I love your product and want to say Thank you. My skin thanks you. I searched so long to find something to help. I am a nurse and work with teens in a city school.
Here's how I tell my patients to use this type of body skin care kit:
Dermatologist’s Anti-Aging, Exfoliating Skin Care to Control Crusty Age Spots (Skin Barnacles) on The Body
How to get rid of crusty skin age spots (skin barnacles):
- Starting twice a week: In the shower use an exfoliating sponge or cloth, like the Salux Cloth that comes in the kit. Squeeze the Triple Action Cleanser on the Salux Cloth and gently massage the skin with it. Go easy in the folds, neck and chest. These areas can all be sensitive. Pay particular attention to areas with barnacles, including the backs of your hands, tops of your feet, behind your knees and back, etc. Rinse well and towel off.
- Natural Face and Body Lotion, in your palm before applying it to your skin. Gradually, your skin gets healthier and can handle the glycolic lotion without dilution. Again, the folds and your neck/chest may be extra sensitive.
- On the other 5 days of the week, apply a nice and rich body lotion or cream within 3 minutes after the shower such as the Natural Face and Body Lotion. You can scrub with the exfoliating cloth/sponge and the Triple Action Cleanser in the shower, or your favorite bath soap (mine is my Naturally Best Bar Soap which is fragrance free, non-drying and made with organic natural botanical oils). As your skin gets healthier you can use the Glycolic Acid Body Lotion more frequently to get even smoother, softer, barnacle-free results.
How does exfoliation work to get rid of crusty age spots (seborrheic keratosis) on your body skin?
The reason that a regimen like this works so well is because it combines the strong glycolic acid "chemical exfoliation" power with the buffing of physical exfoliation.
- Glycolic acid, like other alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), loosens the cement that holds your dead skin cells together. The loose cells buff off easily.
- Glycolic acid (like other AHAs) causes a compacting of the healthy cells to give your skin a polished, smooth surface. It’s sort of like using your own cells to give you a nice, waxy sheen.
- Glycolic acid (and other AHAs) also binds the water molecules to your skin for super-powerful hydration that’s far more effective than plain moisturizers or oils.
The end result is polished, smooth, hydrated, and healthy skin.
My Ultra-Fast Body Smoothing Kit has everything you need for this powerful skin care treatment to get rid of age spots.
I've seen the results; using these products alternating with a rich moisturizing product such as my Natural Lotion really helps to control skin age barnacles for my patients and on my own skin.
Patients with a lot of big barnacles still need me to freeze-off the larger ones. In general, though, I see that their skin grows fewer of these crusty age spots, and the ones that do manage to grow are smaller, smoother and easier for me to treat. Their normal skin also looks so much nicer as they age. All we’ve done is replace their normal bath soap and skin lotion with products that work better at keeping their skin soft, hydrated and healthy.
Of course, it's important to never use strong exfoliation or AHAs on broken skin or sores. Any sore that won't heal or new growth that doesn't go away, should be checked by a dermatologist.