Anti-Aging Skin Care Tips
Today, we can slow and reverse the causes of skin aging with highly effective, professional skin care products.
Get my dermatologist's advice for how to choose the best anti-aging, anti-wrinkle skin care products that work and are right for your skin type.
How does my handpicked, professional line of anti-aging skin care products help you see amazing results?
- I’ve made sure all the anti-aging skin care products I sell have the right concentrations of powerful, proven active ingredients.
- All products are fragrance and filler-free, hypoallergenic and stable.
How do you find the best anti-aging skin care line for your unique complexion?As a dermatologist and skin health educator I recommend a 3 step process:
- Begin by understanding what happens during skin aging. Information is power, and the more you know, the more you can make intelligent decisions about your skin.
- Understand your unique complexion and skin type so you can sort through the products and pick ones that will work well for you.
- Get to work building a Complete Skin Care Routine that layers compatible products for the 4 essential skin care steps of Cleanse, Correct, Hydrate, and Protect.
Step 1: Understand the structural and physiologic changes in skin aging and target your unique challenges:The key issues with skin aging are:
- Wrinkles and skin thinning due to a loss of collagen and elastin. This happens in the second layer of your skin called the dermis. Daily sun exposure is the most common cause.
- Fragile, crepey skin due mostly to a thinning of your top living skin cell layer called the epidermis, and to scaling in the dead cell layer called the stratum corneum. This happens from both sun exposure and intrinsic aging (the passing of years).
- Age spots due to increased pigment in the top epidermal cell layer. Some age spots also have excessive epidermal cells and dead stratum corneum cells. Both sun and age play a role in causing age spots.
The goal is to load our skin with antioxidants. We can pack the skin with high levels of antioxidants from inside (by eating fruits and vegetables) and from the outside, too. That’s why my anti-aging skin care products are packed with the best proven antioxidants. In my professional opinion, these are green tea polyphenols (Green Tea Antioxidant Skin Therapy Cream) and Vitamin C (Vitamin C Anti-Wrinkle Professional Treatment Serum). ~ Dr. Cynthia Bailey
How much does the sun age your skin?Sun exposure is the biggest cause of skin aging and wrinkling on the planet; most of the structuraland physiologic damage that leads to skin aging starts with exposure to a UV ray. Keep the UV rays off of your skin! When patients are skeptical about how much of their skin aging is sun induced I ask them to explore the facts for themselves. Here’s how: Look closely at your skin. Compare the areas that are sun protected, such as your buttocks and tummy, to the commonly sun-exposed areas of your outer forearms, the sides of your face and neck or the V of your chest. Do the sun-protected parts of your skin have fewer wrinkles, crinkles and age spots? Doesn't the skin look thicker too? When you bunch up the sun protected skin, aren't there fewer fine wrinkles and folds? The wrinkles, crinkles, crepey lines, thinning and age spots are due to years of sun.
How can you make old skin look younger, fast?You can quickly buff and polish the dull and crepey look on aging skin to a dewy luster with simple exfoliation You can do this gently on a daily basis or more intensely several times a week. Exfoliation doesn’t change the structure or cause of skin aging, but it ‘picks up’ the youthful glow almost instantly. When you moisturize skin that has just been exfoliated it has the dewy and smooth look of younger skin. Thus, to stop and even reversethe signs of skin aging, you need to:
- Protect your skin from UV rays with the best quality broad spectrum sunscreen and avoid direct sun exposure as much as possible.
- Protect your skin from free radicals by using proven antioxidant products.
- Build up the cells, structure, and vital components of the two living layers of your skin, the epidermis, and the dermis, using proven active ingredients.
- Brighten your skin's texture and tone to create a more youthful and healthy complexion.
Step 2: Understand your skin type and how it might respond to different anti-aging products.In general, complexions are a combination of:
- Sensitive and often intolerant
- Really tough and tolerant
Step 3: Build your Complete Skin Care Routine to fight skin aging anywhere on your body.The best proven cosmeceutical and pharmaceutical skin care product ingredients to fight skin aging and wrinkling are:
- A broad spectrum mineral zinc oxide sunscreen used 365 days a year,
- Retinoids (prescription tretinoin and non-prescription retinol),
- Glycolic acid,
- Vitamin C,
- Green tea antioxidant polyphenols.
All skin types benefit from gentle exfoliation to brighten skin texture and tone. Exfoliation products are best used with your cleansing step. Use a Facial Buf Puf with your cleanser. Or, substitute the Bamboo and Clay Thermal ExfoliatingScrub, or the Triple Action Facial Exfoliating Scrub for your cleanser, twice per week. Body skin exfoliation can be done using an exfoliating shower cloth like the Salux Cloth.Clarisonic SMART Profile or Clarisonic Mia 2 Cleaning Brush System has been proven to enhance absorption of your anti-aging product actives. Clarisonics can be used with your skin cleanser. Choose the right option for you by reading the information I've written for you on these product pages. Correct the mechanisms that cause skin aging by using professional products that contain these key active ingredients: retinol, vitamin C, glycolic acid and green tea antioxidant polyphenols. I have watched the results of these proven ingredients on my patient's skin and my own for over 20 years. Read my information on the product pages to decide which products are right for your needs and complexion. The best options include: Green Tea Antioxidant Skin Therapy Cream for most all skin types applied immediately after washing once or twice a day. Vitamin C Anti-Wrinkle Professional Treatment Serum layered over the Green Tea at least every fourth day.
Glycolic Acid Anti-Wrinkle Facial Cream applied instead of Vitamin C or at night. Retinol Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream applied at night, under the Glycolic Acid cream or alone. To fight the changes of aging on th skin of your body, use the Ultra Fast Skin Smoothing AHA Body Skin Care kit.
Hydrate your skin daily to balance skin moisturizer for healthy skin. Know that many of the products in steps 2 to 4 can act as moisturizers. You will see those products listed under all The Complete Skin Care Steps that they serve. For example, the Glycolic Acid Cream both corrects and hydrates. Additional very popular moisturizer options include: Instantly Luminous Serum applied to facial skin after washing to plump up limp and crepey skin. Daily Facial Creams for Dry/Normal or Oily/Normal Skin All Natural Lotion or Body Butter
Protect your skin from exposure to more age-inducing UV rays exposure by wearing only the best broad spectrum zinc oxide sunscreen from sun up to sun down, 365 days a year. Know that these rays include UV that comes through window glass. I've made it my business to offer a range of zinc oxide sunscreens to fit all skin types, product preferences, and activities. I want you to LOVE your sunscreens because sun exposure is the start of most of the problems of skin aging. See my sunscreen comparison chart to find the right sunscreen for your skin type. Let's say goodbye to skin aging, including dry, scaly, wrinkled, crinkled, thin and crepey skin covered with spots and uneven skin pigment or crusty barnacles. Who needs it? In these modern times we can intervene and see fantastic results right away. You’re on your way to younger looking and healthier skin!