Wrinkles Treatment and Advice
Wrinkles are due to a loss of collagen in the skin. The collagen is lost mostly from sun damage, but aging also causes some collagen loss. As skin wrinkles it becomes thin and fragile too. To truly reverse wrinkles on your skin you need to re-thicken the skin by building more collagen. Unfortunately, collagen can't be added to the skin from the outside. It has to be made by your body's own cells inside the skin. There are only 3 types of skin care product ingredients that, in my professional opinion, have the power to 'turn on' your skin's collagen renewal. These 3 ingredients are:
- Retinoids - Such as prescription tretinoin creams called Retin-A and Renova and professional retinol products such as Retinol Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream
- Glycolic acid (an alpha hydroxy acid added to skin care products) - The glycolic acid must have a free acid concentration in the product of over 10% to work for collagen building
- Vitamin C - There must be at least 10% concentration in the product (in the L-ascorbate form), and the product needs to be in a container that does not allow oxygen to enter
How do you pick the right wrinkle fighting cream for your skin?Because all of these wonderful collagen building skin care ingredients can be irritating and tricky to use, you need to understand how to best use them. They each have pros and cons that you need to understand in order to choose the one that's right for you. Build your complete skin care routine to support your skin as it adjusts to these powerful wrinkle fighting products. My first choice is always a retinoid - in other words, the prescription creams containing tretinoin - because they work the best. This includes Retin-A and Renova, and are really only used on the skin of the face, neck and chest. They require a prescription. Another option is non-prescription Retinol Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream. It contains the right concentration of the proven active retinol. I have developed tricks to help my patients use these products successfully because all retinoid creams make your skin more sun sensitive and more sensitive to irritating things like harsh soaps or climates. These steps are very important for sensitive skin complexions. The steps include:
- Wash with gentle cleansers only. If rosacea or seborrhea are present then they need to be treated. I recommend washing the treated skin with a gentle non-foaming cleanser such as Toleriane Skin Cleanser or Calming Zinc ® Bar Soap.
- Soothe and quiet any irritation, especially after washing. My Green Tea Antioxidant Cream is often the critical product that makes the difference. I have my patients apply it right after washing or right after using my Instantly Luminous Multi-Action Serum, which also soothes dry, limp and irritated skin.
- Sun protection is critical every day to fight wrinkles. Especially if you use a retinoid. Find the best zinc oxide broad spectrum sunscreen using my sunscreen comparison chart. All of my sunscreens work beautifully with tretinoin and retinoid therapy.
- Be sure to use a day time facial moisturizer to balance skin hydration. This helps maintain a healthy skin barrier and to protect the skin from harsh weather. Apply the facial moisturizer under your sunscreen. Pick a product that is free of irritating ingredients or allergens. Ideal options include Daily Moisturizing Face Cream for Oily to Normal Skin if you have normal to oily skin. If you have dryer skin, use a richer oil-containing moisturizer such as Daily Moisturizing Face Cream for Dry to Normal Skin.
Finally, sun protection is critically important to any successful anti wrinkle treatment. You must use a broad spectrum sunscreen with zinc oxide. All of our products are excellent parts of your anti-wrinkle skin care treatment. Pick your sunscreen from the information I give you on my Sunscreen Comparison Chart.