Tips to Make Monday Your Best Skin Day
1. Practice Good Sleep HygienePoor sleep hygiene has been considered an important factor in the development or exacerbation of several chronic diseases: depression, chronic pain, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, osteoporosis, and heart disease. Although maintaining good sleep patterns may seem difficult, especially if you work swing or grave yard shifts. It is important to strive for at least the minimum sleep that adults need, which is seven hours (seven to eight hours is recommended). Lack of sleep not only impacts your health, but it also starts to show its wear on your skin as Dr. Bailey explained in her original blog post: Your Face Really Is More Attractive After a Good Night's Sleep. If you are having trouble sleeping, consult your local physician if you suspect you have a sleep disorder or check out The Sleep Foundation's tips. We have provided a few of their tips below.
- Prep your room for sleep. Keep it dark, cool, and noise free. Don't use computers or watch TV in your bed to train your mind to signal your bed is for sleeping only.
- Avoid large meals before bedtime. Eat dinner two to three hours before bed to allow your meal to properly digest and not disrupt your sleep.
- Develop a bedtime ritual to help wind down. Alleviate stimulation and stress, engaging in calm activity such as reading or meditating. This will create a more restful state that allows for gradual and successful transition from "awake" to "sleep".
2. Brighten your skin with Stronger Exfoliation Methods or Mask Treatments on the WeekendUse some of your weekend time to revamp your skin. If you are currently using low-grade glycolic acid daily during the week, you might bump it up a notch for more rapid skin turnover over the weekend. Depending on if you have dry or oily skin types, use the Glytone Facial Cream 3 or Glytone Exfoliating Lotion 3 respectively. For your body, use Dr. Bailey's Anti-Aging Body Skin Care Kit which you use one to two times a week or more if your skin can handle it. The kit includes instructions, powerful AHA exfoliating products, and easy-to-use physical exfoliation cloth. Consider scheduling a facial with a good local aesthetician who can use powerful skin repair and exfoliating products in treatment form. If you are local to Sebastopol, call to book an appointment at Dr. Bailey's office for a Friday afternoon facial. Dr. Bailey also has a simple DIY Home Facial if you are short on time or if a professional isn't in the budget right now. On the weekend, take advantage of your healthy sleep cycle for skin repair and replenishment by combining it with skin-transforming night creams. Dr. Bailey's favorite overnight skin care products are her Anti-Wrinkle Creams that contain retinol, the best anti-wrinkle ingredient available over the counter. Dr. Bailey's anti-wrinkle creams are paired with hyalaronic acid to deeply hydrate your skin in the process. Below is a "cheat sheet" of overnight creams. Pick one or more based on your skin type or complexion issue. If you would like a more in-depth discussion of skin care products for your skin type, check out Dr. Bailey's informative skin care advice section.
- Oily Skin/Acne: Glytone Exfoliating Lotion 2 or Salicyclic and Glycolic Acne Treatment Pads
- Loss of skin texture and tone due to aging: Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream or Vitamin C Anti-Wrinkle Professional Treatment Serum (new packaging)
- Dry Skin: Glycolic Acid Anti-Aging Facial Cream 15% or Glytone Facial Cream 2
- Rosacea/Seborrheic Dermatitis: Green Tea Antioxidant Skin Therapy
4. On Monday Morning Apply Mineral Makeup or Sunscreen Primers for Natural LookHeavy makeup often clogs pores and is a recipe for disaster for your skin, especially for the rest of the week. To start off on the right foot, go with mineral powders applied over your favorite skin care products. Get great coverage and a natural look with Dr. Bailey's Mineral Makeup layered over one of the BB sunscreens mentioned below. Your skin care will be the most powerful anti-aging skin care to fight wrinkles and uneven pigment when you start each day like this. For a new look, check out our aesthetician's guide for a natural makeup look using mineral makeup that will not clog your pores and look light on your skin. Dr. Bailey's efficient and effective trick is to use a BB cream, essentially a multi-functional concealer sunscreen. Suntegrity's 5-in-1 BB creams comes in three shades and is an office favorite with our drier skin clients. For oily skin and rosacea clients (including myself), Dr. Bailey recommends MD SolarSciences Mineral Tinted Cream. Monday may be the hardest day to drag yourself out of bed, but when your skin looks great, you'll feel great faster. Make Monday your best skin day! The effects will show through the rest of the week and help you to maintain your glowing skin. Let us know how you get your skin prepped for Monday in the comments below.
Together, with good sleep, a brightening exfoliation treatment, a powerful overnight skin product, and brilliant BB/sunscreen makeup primer topped with mineral makeup, we can make Monday our best skin day!