Oily Skin Care Tips
This page was updated on Thu, Nov 12, 2015
If you have oily skin you know that your biggest skin problems are:
- Your skin looks shiny and greasy as the day wears on;
- There is often a heavy and greasy feel to your skin, even right after washing;
- Your pores can look large, clogged and greasy;
- It’s hard to find the right skin care products because most products make your skin feel even oilier and greasier.
It’s easy to keep your pores clean and your skin looking great all day! Here are some things to consider:
- You’ll want to find products that you use twice a day.
- It’s important to pick products that will deeply clean your oily skin, removing as much oil as possible without over-drying.
- You’ll need to find products that treat your skin problems (for instance, acne, hyperpigmentation, age spots, wrinkles, rosacea and facial dandruff) but don’t feel heavy when you put them on.
- Don’t be afraid to use different products on your oily areas than you use on your drier areas of skin. It will help you more precisely balance your complexion so that it looks great.
- Remember, your T-zone is oilier than the sides of your face. Your chest and back skin is also oilier than the skin on other parts of your body. You may need stronger cleansers and treating ingredients on your more oily parts. You may also need lighter textured products there, too.
Striking the balance is no small feat. Here’s how I help my oily skin patients:
Dermatologist's Daily Skin Care for Oily Skin
There are four key steps to a complete oily skin care routine for great results and healthiest skin. These four steps are done in the morning. Three are done again at night.
Step 1: CLEANSE
Step 2: CORRECT
Step 3: HYDRATE
Step 4: PROTECT
Step 1: CLEANSE
Best skin cleansers for oily skin
Look for a foaming cleanser that matches your skin type and goals. Foaming action allows the cleanser to lift and remove more oils. Some options are:
- Anti-aging or hyperpigmentation concerns for all skin types: Glycolic Acid Cleanser or Triple Action Exfoliating Cleanser exfoliate while they remove oil, dirt and debris from skin.
- Pustular and cystic acne blemishes: Foaming Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cleanser medicated with a full 10% benzoyl peroxide to treat the acne causing germ C. acnes.
- Common acne and/or acne with benzoyl peroxide intolerant skin: Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser
- Facial seborrhea or rosacea, or fungal acne benefit from pyrithione zinc in my Foaming Zinc Cleanser and Calming Zinc Soap. Both will remove excess oil, dirt and debris from skin.
- Daily Foaming Facial Cleanser: a non-medicated all purpose facial cleanser that also creates the perfect lather for wet shaving.
Use a Clarisonic Sonic Cleansing Brush System can provide additional deep cleaning of your pores to remove excessive skin oil and debris.
Oily skin benefits from an additional cleansing step with a toner. This helps to remove even more oil from the skin. Pick your oil-removing toner based on your skin’s needs and sensitivities:
- All skin types: Naturally Hydrating Pore Minimizing Facial Toner
- Acne: Salicylic Acid and Glycolic Acne Treatment Pads
Step 2: CORRECT
Use products that help unclog your pores or treat your skin problems.The skin toners I mentioned above begin to add pore cleaning and treating ingredients for the most common skin problems that accompany oily skin (acne and uneven skin pigment). You can layer additional treating products on top for even greater results.
Dermatologist's top choice for skin care products to correct skin problems for oily skin:
- If your challenge is acne: Try the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream
- If your challenge is wrinkles, uneven pigmentation and acne: Try my Glycolic Acid Anti-Wrinkle Face Cream (a professional AHA product in an oil free moisturizing cream)
- If your challenge is wrinkles and uneven pigment: Try the Vitamin C Anti-Wrinkle Professional Treatment Serum. This is also a great antioxidant for fighting skin damage from free radicals.
- If your challenge is rosacea and facial dandruff: Green Tea Antioxidant Skin Therapy
Step 3: HYDRATE
Even oily skin can become dehydrated! It's true!! Oily skin may produce enough oil in the T−zone and not require a moisturizer. The drier areas of your facial skin such as the cheeks and around the eyes usually do. Don’t let your skin become dry in these areas because water will be lost and skin will become dehydrated!
Maintain healthy skin hydration for oily skin by using the right moisturizer applied in the right places to prevent skin dehydration.
- With oily skin you may find that my Green Tea Antioxidant Skin Therapy is perfect for the T-zone. That’s because it holds moisture with its high concentration of hyaluronic acid but it is oil free, never shiny, and has a very light feel on your skin.
- Most oily complexions need a little more hydration around your eyes or along your jaw line and the sides of your cheeks. Here, I recommend a lightly textured, but slightly richer moisture-trapping product such as the Daily Moisturizing Face Cream Oily to Normal Skin.
Step 4: PROTECT (am only):
Everyone needs to wear sunscreen everyday to prevent skin damage, even oily complexions.
Sun protection is the single most important anti-aging skin care step you can take. It helps to prevent wrinkles and irregular skin pigment, not to mention skin cancer. Finding the right sunscreen that does not feel heavy is key for oily complexions. My two favorite for oily skin are:
Sheer Strength Pure Physical Matte Tinted SPF 50+ Sunscreen. The light silky texture is mattifying and absorbs oil. The tinting is subtle and helps blend in complexion flaws without looking like you are wearing a tinted product. If you wear makeup you can apply your powder directly on top of it because this sunscreen acts like a primer to give you a great look. It’s a brilliant product.
Sheer Strength Pure Physical Invisible SPF 50+ Sunscreen. This ultra light textured sunscreen is loved by both men and women who have oily skin.
What is the best makeup for oily skin?
Mineral makeup with kaolin clay will absorb oil as your skin produces it over the day. It is the top choice for oily complexions. My Loose Mineral Makeup Foundation Powder is ideal for oily skin and contains the right amount of kaolin clay combined with finely milled mineral powders for a flawless finish.
What’s the bottom line for treating your oily skin?
Find the right oily skin care products that address your specific skin concerns. Once you start your new skin care routine, you should start seeing some impressive, oil−free results!