Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream™ 5%
Benzoyl peroxide is the most effective nonprescription acne treatment medicine for killing the acne causing bacteria P. acnes (now called C. acnes). The 5% benzoyl peroxide in this medical-grade acne treatment cream is ultra-micronized to increase skin penetration without irritating most sensitive skin.
Subscribe and Save: recommended interval every 3 months.
Benzoyl peroxide is more effective at treating acne-causing bacteria than the expensive topical and oral antibiotics that doctors prescribe.
The bacteria called C. acnes plays a big role in causing acne vulgaris, the common form of acne. Benzoyl peroxide is more effective at killing this germ than the topical prescription antibiotic medicines that you get from your doctor. This is because the acne causing bacteria has become resistant to the antibiotics that are used to treat acne. That's why I always recommend using a benzoyl peroxide product to treat blackheads and pimples in my acne patients, especially when they suffer from inflammatory acne that leads to pimples and cysts.
Prevent acne with benzoyl peroxide.
Many people use benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment for pimples. It's actually even a better idea to apply it once or twice day to the entire acne prone area of your skin because benzoyl peroxide kills the acne causing germ, helps to break up pore clogging debris and alters your skin sebum so that it is less likely to cause acne. Consider using benzoyl peroxide to prevent pimples, not just as a spot treatment!
My Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream is made with the highest medical grade benzoyl peroxide in an FDA regulated lab.
It is really important to use the highest quality benzoyl peroxide to treat your acne. Our benzoyl peroxide is ultra-micronized for maximal skin penetration to treat even tough acne. Using only ultra-micronized benzoyl peroxide also helps to reduce the risk of skin irritation for those with sensitive skin. Plus, using such high-quality benzoyl peroxide means that, unlike less expensive benzoyl peroxide products, our Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream does not leave a white chalky film on the skin. Treat your acne invisibly with the most powerful form of benzoyl peroxide available.
- 5% ultra-micronized medical-grade benzoyl peroxide
- Artificial colors
Cruelty-free and always made in the U.S.A.
Twice a day: wash with a cleanser matched to your skin type such as the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser, rinse well with warm water and then towel dry. Apply a very thin layer of the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream to all acne prone areas of your complexion. You can spot treat pimples, but remember that Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream can prevent new breakouts before they occur when you apply it to all acne prone skin. Preventing pimples is how you prevent acne scars!
Important Information from Dermatologist Dr. Cynthia Bailey About Benzoyl Peroxide Products
Apply Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 5% once or twice a day to all of your acne prone skin after washing. You can spot treat pimples; however, it is best to apply benzoyl peroxide products to acne prone areas. That's because Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 5% prevents new acne lesions from developing by killing the acne causing bacteria C. acnes.
This Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream is an integral part of my Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit. This kit takes the guess work out of your skin care routine, giving you a dermatologist's Complete Skin Care Routine for acne treatment.
As with all benzoyl peroxide products, the cream will fade colored fabric.
Dermatologist Answers Commonly Asked Questions About Acne Skin Care with Benzoyl Peroxide:
Can I use the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream with my other skin care products?
Usually, you can. You should always use OIL FREE products on acne prone skin. Oil free moisturizers, sunscreens and makeup may be applied after the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream. Allow the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream to dry then apply your products.
Can I use the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream with topical medicines my doctor has prescribed for my acne?
Usually yes. That said, benzoyl peroxide can inactivate some medicines so check with your prescribing doctor.
What do I do if my skin becomes dry or irritated while I am using the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream?
Give your skin a short break. If your skin begins to feel dry, stop using the benzoyl peroxide and just wash with a mild soap for a few days. When your skin feels normal again begin use the Benzoyl Peroxide Cream just once a day for several weeks and then increase back to twice a day. If you still develop dry skin, you may be sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. See below for trouble shooting advice.
Can I use the Benzoyl Peroxide Cream if I become pregnant?
You need to ask your doctor. Benzoyl peroxide is FDA Category C meaning that if your doctor feels that the benefits outweigh the risks, they may deem it appropriate for you. Benzoyl peroxide is minimally absorbed through the skin. It is converted to benzoic acid in the body. Benzoic acid is a food additive. That said, its safety is not entirely guaranteed. Many acne ingredients have not been tested on pregnant women and no one will ever be bold enough to test things on pregnant women.
Can I use a wash cloth or Facial Exfoliating Sponge with my facial cleanser if I have acne?
Yes. I particularly like exfoliating facial sponges since they help remove loose blackheads from clogged pores. Always make sure anything you wash your skin with is clean and dries between uses since they can harbor germs.
Trouble shooting and other things you should know when using benzoyl peroxide
General recommendations for strong acne treatment products:
- Always start slowly if you think you may have sensitive skin. Apply the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream once a day to an area of your skin that you know is the least sensitive. Do this for a week and if no irritation develops then apply it to your entire acne prone areas. After another two weeks, if no irritation develops, you may want to apply it twice daily for maximal benefit. It is easier to work your way up in strength than to figure out why your skin has become dry.
- Never apply acne medicines to chapped, injured skin. This includes sunburns, windburns, or after procedures such as face peels, harsh facials, waxing, harsh facial masks etc.
- Some parts of the face may be more sensitive to these acne medicines than others. Use milder products on sensitive areas. For example, the cheek bone and jaw line are sensitive in some people, for others it is the cheek area along the sides of the nose.
- Do not use medicated acne products if you think you may be pregnant without asking your doctor first.
The benzoyl peroxide medicine in the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream can and will bleach fabric! Do not apply it under colored clothing and do not wipe it on colored towels. It is also best to sleep with a white pillowcase since it will bleach colored cases as well.
As with all medicine, some people can develop allergic reactions. Allergy to benzoyl peroxide is very rare but can occur. Most reactions are irritation and can be avoided by using benzoyl peroxide less frequently. Allergic people develop a rash every time they use the ingredient and typically involves redness and itching on the treated skin within several days or weeks after applying one of the medicines. The reaction occurs every time they use the medicine. Some dryness with benzoyl peroxide is normal and can be due to irritation. To determine if dryness is due to allergic reaction or irritation, do the following 'use test':
- Stop using the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream for several weeks. Wash your face with a mild soap and do not use any harsh products on the skin.
- When your skin feels normal, restart the Benzoyl Peroxide Cream on half of your face. If your skin becomes red then you may not be able to tolerate benzoyl peroxide, either because of irritation or allergy.
- If you think you are unable to use the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream you may still be able to tolerate other ingredients useful against acne such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid and/or retinol. Options include Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser and the Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pads, Glycolic Acid Facial Skin Care Kit and my Retinol Night Cream. Let your skin rest for several weeks until it is no longer irritated then test one of these ingredients or products.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 5% (2 oz.)
Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 5%.
Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Stearic Acid.