How often should you clean makeup brushes? It's not one of those tasks we jump into with eager enthusiasm, but you know it's good to do! Yes, proper care of your makeup brushes preserves the life of your brushes and also preserves the life of your makeup. You're also helping to maintain a clear and attractive complexion!
Old makeup, dirt and debris, oils, bacteria, and dead skin cells can (and will!) build up in your brushes over time.
A dirty brush will transfer these to your skin and to every cosmetic you touch with the brush. Not only can this nasty concoction create breakouts and contaminate your makeup, but also has the potential to cause a skin infection.
Using dirty makeup brushes can alter the color of your makeup and the way it applies to your skin.
Simply cleaning your brushes will improve the way your makeup looks and performs. Have you ever tried applying your favorite mineral powder, only to find that it goes on with an odd hue or it applies unevenly to your skin? A dirty makeup brush could be the culprit!
Another really great reason to keep your brushes clean is to keep them soft, lush and fluffy! Applying your makeup with a soft, plushy brush is a sensual treat. Did you know that all that buildup of old makeup, oil, and other debris on your brushes makes them feel rough, scratchy and dull against your skin? If you have sensitive skin, cleaning your brushes will keep them feeling soft as you brush on your makeup.
Tips to care for your makeup brushes from skin care experts
- Makeup brushes with synthetic cruelty free bristles (like ours!) will harbor less bacteria than brushes made with animal hair. And, of course, no animals were harmed in the making synthetic makeup brushes, which is a happy thought.
- Cleaning your makeup brushes every other week is ideal. Do it at least monthly.
- If you have acne or excess oil production, then you may find it helpful to wash your brushes weekly.
- If you use liquids or creams with any of your brushes, then you will need to wash them immediately after use so that they dry ready to be used again.
Steps to clean your makeup brushes
- Rinse your brushes first with tepid water.
- Fill a large cup with tepid water and a small squirt of shampoo or a non-detergent cleaner with no chemicals or fragrances. (our All Natural Liquid Cleaner Concentrate works great for your brushes. It's also a chemical-free cleaner for surfaces in your house, your dishes and even your clothing - it's hypoallergenic and completely free of harmful chemicals and allergens!)
- Add a few of your makeup brushes at a time and slosh them around in the soapy water for about 30 seconds.
- Remove your brushes from the cup and continue to work the soapy water mixture into the brushes. (You may need to add a touch more soap.)
- Rinse your brushes thoroughly with tepid water until the water runs clear.
- Gently squeeze the excess water from your brushes.
- Lay brushes flat to dry overnight on a clean, dry towel.
- Repeat the process until you have cleaned all your makeup brushes. If the soapy water becomes murky (and it probably will) after cleaning your first few brushes, dump out the old water, and make new clean soapy water.