Probably not…..but it's complicated. The controversy:
- Patients for years have noticed pimples after eating chocolate-containing 'junk foods'
- The original scientific studies done in the 1960's which 'proved' to doctors that chocolate did not cause acne were flawed because both the chocolate bar and the non-chocolate 'control' bar had high trans fats and sugar, ingredients which we now know cause acne
- Don't chose really sweet products with a lot of sugar.
- Look for cocoa butter as the fat in the product, not hydrogenated vegetable oil or cow dairy butter.
- I'd recommend trying to avoid 'milk chocolate' because we now know that dairy products can aggravate acne. Also, the cacao content is typically lower in milk chocolate products.
- Eat small quantities and only occasionally! Remember there's sugar in sweet chocolate products; sugar is of course a high glycemic food and high glycemic foods worsens acne.