Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream™ 2.5% Sensitive Skin
This alcohol-free 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream is tough on acne, but gentle on sensitive skin.
Medical study after medical study continue to show benzoyl peroxide is the one acne medicine that is hard to beat. It’s more effective at treating acne-causing bacteria than the expensive topical and oral antibiotics. One reason is because it’s hard for the bacteria to develop antibiotic resistance to benzoyl peroxide since it’s not technically an antibiotic. Plus, it also treats blackheads and clogged pores.
It’s very sad news for the pharmaceutical industry since it keeps trying to beat benzoyl peroxide. But, it’s very good news for you since it provides an affordable, highly effective treatment for your acne.
Finding the balance between fighting acne and protecting your sensitive skin:
What makes the 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream magic is that it is the “sweet spot” for acne-treatment power and sensitive skin. If you have sensitive skin, you may have found benzoyl peroxide can be irritating. That’s where the 2.5% acne-treating cream comes in!
Medical studies have shown that the 2.5% cream gives you the FULL power of benzoyl peroxide to treat your acne, PLUS much less chance of irritation.
Dr. Cynthia Bailey Wants You to Know
Benzoyl peroxide is my go-to recommendation to treat blackheads and pimples for my acne patients. I have my patients apply it once or twice a day to the entire area of acne-prone skin. If they only have occasional pimples then benzoyl peroxide can be used as a spot treatment. The 2.5% concentration may also be tolerated by some complexions suffering from acne rosacea too, again because this level of concentration is less irritating than 5% or 10% benzoyl peroxide.
Other helpful benzoyl peroxide information
This acne treatment cream is an integral part of the synergy in my Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit. As with all benzoyl peroxide products, this cream will fade colored fabric such as your towels, pillow cases, and clothing.
If you need more information about treating your acne, please see my Acne Tips & Advice pages and the Directions tab with Instructions and Tips for Success.
Kit Instructions: Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit
Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit can be used to treat acne on all areas of your skin where you have pimples and blackheads including your face, neck, chest and back. Don't just spot treat pimples because Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit prevents new breakouts before they occur, and preventing pimples is how you prevent acne scars!
Twice a day: wash with the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser, rinse well with warm water and then towel dry. Swab the skin with a Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pad and wait several seconds for the medicine to air dry. Finish by applying a very thin layer of the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream. Additional medications, oil-free sunscreen, moisturizer, make-up or other products may be applied after the cream.
Commonly Asked Questions:
Can I use the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit with my other skin care products?
Usually you can. You should always use OIL FREE products on acne prone skin. Oil free moisturizers, sunscreens and makeup may be applied after the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream. Allow the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream to dry then apply your products.
Can I use the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit with topical medicines my doctor has prescribed for my acne?
Usually yes. Ask your prescribing doctor.
What do I do if my skin becomes dry or irritated while I am using the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit?
Give your skin a short break. Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit is strong. If your skin begins to feel dry, stop using the Kit and just wash with a mild soap for a few days. When your skin feels normal again begin using the kit just once a day for several weeks and then increase back to twice a day. If you still develop dry skin, you may be sensitive to one of the ingredients. See below for trouble shooting advice.
Can I use the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit if I become pregnant?
No. The ingredients have not been tested on pregnant women and no one will ever be bold enough to test things on pregnant women. The good news is that acne often clears up when a woman is pregnant.
Can I use a wash cloth or buf puf with the cleanser?
Yes. I particularly like exfoliating facial sponges since they help remove loose blackheads from clogged pores. Always make sure anything you wash your skin with is clean and dries between uses since they can harbor germs.
Tips For Success: Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit
Trouble shooting and other things you should know when using the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit
General recommendations for strong acne treatment products:
- Always start on the lowest concentration products if you think you may have sensitive skin (Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit). It is easier to work your way up in strength than to figure out why your skin has become dry.
- Never apply acne medicines to chapped, injured skin. This includes sunburns, windburns, or after procedures such as face peels, harsh facials, waxing, harsh facial masks etc.
- Some parts of the face may be more sensitive to these acne medicines than others. Use milder products on sensitive areas. For example, the cheek bone and jaw line are sensitive in some people, for others it is the cheek area along the sides of the nose.
- Do not use medicated acne products if you think you may be pregnant since they have not and never will be tested for safety in pregnant women and so we cannot assume that they are safe.
- Glycolic acid acne products can be irritating, but allergy is not typically an issue.
- If the treated skin becomes dry and scaly, use the products less frequently or use products with lower/milder concentrations of glycolic acid.
The benzoyl peroxide medicine in the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream can and will bleach fabric! Do not apply it under colored clothing and do not wipe it on colored towels. It is also best to sleep with a white pillow case since it will bleach colored cases as well.
As with all medicine, some people can develop allergic reactions. This can occur to the benzoyl peroxide or the salicylic acid acne medicines. Allergic people develop a dry irritation with redness on the treated skin within several days after applying one of the medicines. The reaction occurs every time they use the medicine. Some dryness with the Kit is normal since the medicines are strong. To determine if dryness is due to allergic reaction or irritation, do the following 'use test':
- Stop using the Kit for several weeks. Wash your face with a mild soap and do not use any harsh products on the skin.
- When your skin feels normal, restart the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser and the Pads (they contain salicylic acid and glycolic acid) If you get dry and red with these, then you are most likely allergic to salicylic acid (glycolic acid can be irritating but people aren't usually allergic to it). If you are allergic to salicylic acid you may be able to tolerate benzoyl peroxide or glycolic acid acne treatments that do not have salicylic acid in them.
- If you think you are allergic to the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream do a use test with it. As above, let your skin rest several weeks until it feels normal. Then restart the Cream. Continue washing with a mild soap and applying the Cream after. If you again develop the dry irritation then you are allergic to benzoyl peroxide. You can probably tolerate the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser and the Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pads. Let your skin rest for several weeks then resume the Cleanser and the Pads.
Treated skin can also become scaly and dry due to irritation from the drying effect of the products. Irritation can occur to these products due to the strong oil removing soaps, the oil removing ingredients in the pads or from the medicines themselves. To test if irritation is the reason your skin is dry and scaly, do the following test:
- Stop using all the medicated products until your skin returns to normal. To do this, use a mild soap to wash and apply a non-oil containing moisturizer.
- Once your skin has returned to normal, use the soap, pads and cream only once every other day, use the mild soap and moisturizer the other times you cleanse. If no dryness develops increase to once a day for all 3 products. If your skin remains free from dryness, you can use the 3 products twice a day IF your skin is not dry. If it ever becomes dry, for any reason, stop using the products until your skin normalizes, then resume again.
- If you are unable to tolerate the products every other day then stop using the pads since they are the most drying. Use the cleanser and cream every other day as above and advance to once a day then twice a day as tolerated. You may be able to tolerate the pads in your tough oily areas of the forehead and around the nose and mid chin. The cheeks and jaw line are often more sensitive.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment cream 2.5% (1.5oz.): Carbomer, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxymethyl Glycinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate. Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5%.