Solbar Zinc SPF 38 Sunscreen
This SPF 38 sun block has an oil free base that lasts for up to 80 minutes in the water, is more rub resistant than most, and is gentle on the eyes. It spreads so easily that it's also my favorite product to apply to the large expanses of unprotected skin on our bodiesIt. You absolutely must use a water resistant sunscreen when you're going to be wet.'s simply the best water resistant sunscreen I've found which is why it's my top choice for a dermatologist-recommended, water resistant sunscreen. Oil free and shouldn't aggravate acne.
I've depended on Solbar Zinc Sunscreen for years when I garden, swim, hike or do any outdoor activity where I will be sweating, swimming or potentially rubbing off my sun block. The lotion base binds well to the skin and is considered a 'very water resistant sunscreen' as tested by the United States testing standards for sunscreens, which means it gives you up to 80 minutes of protection when you're wet. Solbar Zinc Sunscreen has never failed me - plus, it doesn't clog my pores or sting my eyes when applied correctly. Its moisturizing lotion base is easy to spread over the skin, making it the best sunscreen for applying to large areas of skin such as the back, arms and legs for complete sun protection.
Dermatologists and skin professionals agree that sun protection reduces the risk of developing skin cancer and is a critical step in any effective anti aging skin care program:
- Without sun protection, it's impossible to accomplish any meaningful skin lightening of age spots or melasma, it's also impossible to stop wrinkles.
- Add to that, the fact that anyone exfoliating their skin to improve its appearance is at greater risk for sun damage and MUST wear a sunscreen.
- The final motivation is that tanned skin after our teens and early adult years just starts to look rough and leathery.
Basically, just about everyone needs sunscreen, every day. Most of us don't want to hear that, so I've searched long and hard for a product that stays on during active, sweaty, wet activities and can be used by my sensitive skin patients. Solbar Zinc Sunscreen is the best sunscreen for the job!
Dr. Cynthia Bailey Wants You To Know These Important Facts About Sunscreen
It's my opinion that zinc oxide is the best sunscreen ingredient for broad spectrum UVA and UVB sun protection.
Zinc oxide, and its cousin titanium dioxide, are considered mineral sunscreens (and are also called physical sunscreens). When applied to your skin these mineral/physical sunscreens sit on top of your skin and bounce off the UV rays just like bouncing a ball off of a wall. They provide non-irritating, hypoallergenic broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection that you can trust. Nano technology made it possible for mineral sunscreen to be applied invisibly to your skin. New zinc oxide technology has made it possible for even non-nano zinc oxide products to rub almost invisibly onto your skin too.
Mineral sunscreens are the only sunscreens that I trust and recommend. That's because the other type of sunscreens, called chemical sun screens (and also confusingly also called ‘organic' sunscreens!), actually absorb into the top of your skin and block the sun rays with a chemical reaction that occurs within your skin itself. The reaction creates a little heat, which make you feel even hotter in the sun. More importantly, it breaks down the chemical sunscreen ingredients so that they aren't there to protect you anymore. Thus your skin steadily runs out of the chemical sunscreens when you're in the sun.
The mineral sunscreens on the other hand last longer on your skin because the UV rays don't break them down like this. They're also more stable in the sunscreen bottle than ‘chemical' sunscreens, which break down while they sit on the bottle waiting for you to buy them and use them.
Of the mineral sunscreen ingredients, I recommend only zinc oxide and not titanium dioxide because it rubs onto your skin better and gives better broad spectrum protection.
Remember, harmful and aging UV sun rays come through most windows. You need to apply sunscreen to the all exposed areas of your skin every day even if you don't plan to spend time outdoors. Applying a mineral zinc oxide sunscreen should be part of your daily skin care routine!
Need help picking the perfect sunscreen? View Dr. Bailey's Sunscreen Comparison Chart.
Manufacturer: Person Covey
Dr. Bailey's Sunscreen Application Tips:
- Apply micro sized zinc oxide sunscreens last, after all other skin care products but under make-up. This is because the zinc oxide particles sit on top of the skin where they reflect light. All skin care products that work by penetrating into the skin must be applied first.
- Zinc oxide sunscreens will be invisible on the skin if you warm the cream and disperse the particles before applying the product. To do this, place the amount of cream to be applied in the palm of one hand. Vigorously rub your palms together then apply the cream to your skin by patting it around various places in the area to be covered. Finish by rubbing the cream on your skin until it is evenly applied and invisible.
- Eye sensitivity is not typically a problem with my zinc oxide sunscreens. The Solbar Zinc SPF 38 Sunscreen, however is the absolutely most gentle on the eyes and so if you are struggling with eye irritation, I recommend this product for the skin around the eye area.
- The quantity of sunscreen you apply is critical to the amount of protection you have created for your skin. Current recommendations are 1 tsp for the adult face and 1oz. (a shot glass) for the average sized adult in the average sized bathing suit. It is especially important to follow these recommendations if you are relying on sunscreen alone to protect your skin during times of intense sun exposure. (Skin Cancer Foundation sun protection)
Solbar Zinc SPF 38 Sunscreen (4 oz.): Purified Water, Isobutyl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Dilaurate, PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, Benzyl Alcohol, Cyclomethicone, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, DEA Cetyl Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid. Active Ingredients: Homosalate 10.0%, Zinc Oxide (Z-Cote HP1) 7.5%, Octinoxate 7.5%.