Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength™
For acne treatment more really is better when it comes to strong acne medicine. This is absolutely the strongest nonprescription acne medication treatment system that I know of!
Dermatologists know that strong acne skin care with medicated benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are the best products you can use to clear acne vulgaris without a prescription.
This serious skin care kit is a powerful acne treatment to cure acne and prevent acne scars. It pushes the envelope of irritancy to maximize acne treatment with 2% salicylic acid and 10% benzoyl peroxide (the maximal level available for these powerful acne medicines), plus a full 10% glycolic acid to remove blackheads.
Most other acne treatment systems have lower concentrations of these most effective acne medicines, or they don't include all three ingredients. Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength includes high concentrations of all three of these acne fighters making it the best acne skin care routine for tough acne.
This is among the best acne treatments if you've tried other weaker acne products and still have pimples...use it to prevent and treat acne on your face, neck and chest at any age.
Combine this Ultimate Acne Solutions Kit with a Retinol Cream at night and pyrithione zinc (as in Calming Zinc Soap) to incorporate all the non-prescription beneficial ingredients proven to fight acne and get rid of acne scars.
Dermatologist Dr. Cynthia Bailey Wants You to Know How Acne Medicines Work
There are many acne treatment products on the market making it difficult to choose. It helps to understand how acne medicines work; in general, they either kill the acne causing germs or unclog pores. Acne cleansers remove oil and dirt and may leave a layer of medication that stays on after washing. Astringents and medicated pads usually remove additional oil and leave behind medicine. Lotions, creams and solutions leave medicine on the skin.
The best acne products and acne medicines made today are a little irritating to most people's skin which is why I have a stronger kit for tolerant skin (Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength) and a milder kit for normal to sensitive skin (Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit). It is important to understand why the best acne fighting products contain benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and glycolic acid.
- Benzoyl peroxide's 'super power' is at killing the C. acnes bacteria that causes the most common type of acne called acne vulgaris. It is better than antibiotics at killing the C. acnes bacteria because this germ has developed antibiotic resistance! Benzoyl peroxide also helps to treat blackheads.
- Salicylic acid's 'super power' is at penetrating deep into oily pores. It helps break up oily clogged pore debris and blackheads, and it opens the way for other treating ingredients to penetrate deeply into pores.
- Glycolic acid helps break up clogged pores and blackheads and exfoliates skin to help brighten the complexion. Exfoliation also helps to enhance skin penetration of all acne treating ingredients. Glycolic acid is great for reducing pigment problems. At concentrations of 10% or higher it can stimulate collagen renewal to soften and reduce the appearance of acne scars.
Together this is a trifecta of treating ingredients to clear acne problems. Higher concentrations of these acne medicines can work better to treat pimples and blackheads and to prevent acne scars. This kit has the maximum strength of acne treatment medicines to clear acne fast. In treating thousands of acne patients, I've found that Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength work better than most prescription acne medicines and all other over-the-counter treatments!
For more information about treating acne, please see Acne Treatment/Specific Advice for Your Skin Type.
Dermatologist Answers Commonly Asked Questions About Acne Treating Products
Can I use the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength with my other skin care products?
Usually you can. You should always use OIL FREE products on acne prone skin. Oil free moisturizers, sunscreens and makeup may be applied after the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10%, Extra Strength. Allow the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10%, Extra Strength to dry then apply your products.
Can I use the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength with topical medicines my doctor has prescribed for my acne?
Usually yes. Ask your prescribing doctor.
What do I do if my skin becomes dry or irritated while I am using the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength?
Give your skin a short break. Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength is strong. If your skin begins to feel dry, stop using the Kit and just wash with a mild soap for a few days. When your skin feels normal again begin using the kit just once a day for several weeks and then increase back to twice a day. If you still develop dry skin, you may be sensitive to one of the ingredients. See the DIRECTIONS tab for trouble shooting advice.
Can I use the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength if I become pregnant?
While we don't think there are problems from the ingredients I still have to say 'no'. Ask your doctor to see if they feel the benefits of this Kit outweigh the risks and then use it under their supervision only if they agree. This is because the ingredients have not been rigorously tested on pregnant women and no one will ever be bold enough to test things on pregnant women. The good news is that acne often clears up when a woman is pregnant.
Can I use a wash cloth, Clarisonic Brush or facial exfoliating sponge with the cleanser?
Yes. I particularly like Facial Exfoliating Sponges since they help remove loose blackheads from clogged pores. Always make sure anything you wash your skin with is clean and dries between uses since they can harbor germs.
Product Details - This Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength includes:
Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser (10% Glycolic acid and 2% Salicylic acid foaming cleanser): This extremely strong 10% Glycolic Acid/2% Salicylic Acid foaming cleanser is the strongest acne cleanser I recommend. Regular use removes oil and blackheads. It's ideal for tolerant skin that can handle strong acne medicines.
Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pads, Extra Strength (medicated pads with 10% Glycolic Acid and 2% Salicylic Acid):
Tolerant skin benefits from a full 10% glycolic acid working in combination with salicylic acid to really loosen blackheads. These medicated pads unclog pores, lifting oil and debris to treat blackheads and prevent pimples and acne scars. The glycolic acid will help fight pigment skin problems and soften the appearance of existing acne scars.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10%, Extra Strength (alcohol and oil free 10% benzoyl peroxide cream): This is the highest concentration of benzoyl peroxide available over the counter. Benzoyl peroxide is proven to be the most effective topical acne product for killing the acne-causing bacteria C. acnes (formerly called P. acnes) because the germ has become resistant to prescription topical antibiotics. It also unclogs pores to treat blackheads.
Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength
Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength can be used to treat acne on all areas of your skin where you have pimples and blackheads including your face, neck, chest and back. Don't just spot treat pimples! Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength prevents new breakouts before they occur, and preventing pimples is how you prevent acne scars!
Twice a day:
Wash with the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser, rinse well with warm water and then towel dry. If you would like, you can alternate this cleanser with Calming Zinc Bar Soap to incorporate pyrithione zinc into your skin treatment. This helps to address any component of fungal acne that may be contributing to your acne problem.
After washing your skin, swab it with a Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pad, Extra Strength and wait several seconds for the medicine to air dry. Finish by applying a very thin layer of the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10%, Extra Strength. Alternatively, you can apply Retinol Cream at night in place of the Benzoyl Peroxide if you would like to incorporate this acne and scar fighting ingredient into your skin care routine too.
Additional medications, oil-free moisturizer, oil-free sunscreen or make-up may be applied after the cream. Of course, ask your treating physician how to incorporate any prescription medicines into your skin care with the Ultimate Acne Solutions Kit.
Please note, use of products with glycolic acid, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide can irritate the skin. If irritation develops discontinue product use and consult a physician. Also, benzoyl peroxide can - and will - fade the color in fabric upon contact. Do not apply it under colored clothing and do not wipe it on colored towels. It is also best to sleep with a white pillowcase since it will bleach colored cases as well.
Dermatologist's Tips for Success with Acne Treatment Products
Trouble shooting and other things you should know when using the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength
General recommendations for strong acne treatment products:
- Always start on the lowest concentration products if you think you may have sensitive skin (Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit). It is easier to work your way up in strength than to figure out why your skin has become dry.
- Never apply acne medicines to chapped, injured skin. This includes sunburns, windburns, or after procedures such as face peels, harsh facials, waxing, harsh facial masks etc.
- Some parts of the face may be more sensitive to these acne medicines than others. Use milder products on sensitive areas. For example, the cheek bone and jaw line are sensitive in some people, for others it is the cheek area along the sides of the nose.
- Do not use medicated acne products if you think you may be pregnant since they have not and never will be tested for safety in pregnant women and so we cannot assume that they are safe. Ask your doctor if the Kit is right for you.
- Glycolic acid acne products can be irritating, but allergy is not typically an issue. If the treated skin becomes dry and scaly, use the products less frequently or use products with lower/milder concentrations of glycolic acid.
How can you tell if you might be allergic to your acne skin care products?
As with all medicine, some people can develop allergic reactions. This can occur to the benzoyl peroxide or the salicylic acid acne medicines. Allergic reactions typically manifest as itchy and dry irritation with redness on the treated skin. The itching and redness develop within several days after applying one of the medicines. The reaction occurs every time they use the medicine. Some dryness with the Kit is normal since the medicines are strong. To determine if dryness is due to allergic reaction or irritation, do the following 'use test':
- Stop using the Kit for several weeks. Wash your face with a mild soap and do not use any harsh products on the skin.
- When your skin feels normal, restart the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser and the Pads (they contain salicylic acid and glycolic acid) If you get dry and red with these, then you may be allergic to salicylic acid (glycolic acid can be irritating but people aren't usually allergic to it). If you are allergic to salicylic acid you may be able to tolerate benzoyl peroxide or glycolic acid acne treatments that do not have salicylic acid in them. Learn more here.
- If you think you are allergic to the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10%, Extra Strength, do a use test with it. As above, let your skin rest several weeks until it feels normal. Then restart the cream. Continue washing with a mild soap and applying the Cream after. If you again develop the dry irritation then you may be allergic to benzoyl peroxide. You can probably tolerate the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser and the Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pads, Extra Strength. Let your skin rest for several weeks then resume the Cleanser and the Pads. Learn more here.
Treated skin can also become scaly and dry due to irritation from the drying effect of the products. Irritation can occur to these products due to the strong oil removing soaps, the oil removing ingredients in the pads or from the medicines themselves. To test if irritation is the reason your skin is dry and scaly, do the following test:
- Stop using all the medicated products until your skin returns to normal. To do this, use a mild soap to wash and apply a non-oil containing moisturizer.
- Once your skin has returned to normal, use the soap, pads and cream only once every other day, use the mild soap and moisturizer the other times you cleanse. If no dryness develops increase to once a day for all 3 products. If your skin remains free from dryness, you can use the 3 products twice a day IF your skin is not dry. If it ever becomes dry, for any reason, stop using the products until your skin normalizes, then resume again.
- If you are unable to tolerate the products every other day then stop using the pads since they are the most drying. Use the cleanser and cream every other day as above and advance to once a day then twice a day as tolerated. You may be able to tolerate the pads in your tough oily areas of the forehead and around the nose and mid chin. The cheeks and jaw line are often more sensitive.
Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser, 6.7 fl. oz.: 10% Glycolic acid and 2% Salicylic acid. Camellia sinensis (Green Tea) Polyphenols, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Glycolic Acid, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Polysorbate-20, Purified Water, Red #40 (CI 16035), Sodium C12-15 Pareth-15 Sulfonate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Triethanolamine, Yellow #5 (CI 19140), Zinc PCA. Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid 2%.
Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pads, Extra Strength, 60 pads: 10% Glycolic Acid/2% Salicylic Acid. Acetone, Ammonium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Glycolic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Polysorbate-20, Purified Water, Sodium Benzoate, SD Alcohol 40B (13% v/v). Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid 2%. Caution, this strong product can be irritating to skin.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10%, Extra Strength, 2 oz.: 10% benzoyl peroxide. Carbomer, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxymethyl Glycinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate. Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 10%. Caution, this strong product can be irritating to skin.