NATURAL PRODUCTS FOR ANTI-AGING SKIN CARE
By Cynthia Bailey MD. This page was updated on Sun, Sep 15, 2019
What are the best dermatologist’s tips for an anti-aging skin care routine with natural products?
You get the best results from your skin care products when you work them into a Complete Skin Care Routine that includes the 4 essential steps of,
Each of these steps has an essential role in synergistically building results that are greater than the sum of the individual steps. To fight the signs of skin aging, the most important steps are Correct and Protect. But, if your skin is not impecibly clean your corrective ingredients won’t penetrate optimally. Similarly, if your skin hydration is not balanced, your correcting products will cause inflammation.
It’s important to appreciate the interdependence of these steps when aiming to build a natural skin care routine to fight the signs of skin aging. That’s because, the best products to slow and reverse skin aging are either drugs, such as sunscreens, which are regulated as drugs by the FDA. They are often not entirely “natural” either due to the presence of preservatives, stability, and water resistance concerns. Likewise, the best antiaging products are made with concentrated pharmaceutical grade actives formulated into stable products that maximize results.
My bias is to work natural products into the a powerful anti-aging routine in the Cleanse and Hydrate steps and target Correct and Protect products that are free of notorious “nasty” ingredients but still utilize the best technological advances available from skin care science. This approach gives us the best of both science and nature – and amazing results. It’s the approach I’ve taken over the years with my own 60+ year old complexion. I sort through the science, pick the best actives, and work them into a skin care routine with natural products
Build a Dr. Bailey Complete Skin Care routine with each of the key skin-rebuilding ingredients for best results; reverse past damage and keep your skin looking younger as the years pass.
What are the top 6 proven skin care ingredients to fight the signs of skin aging, and how do they work?
- Retinoids: These vitamin A related ingredients help to stimulate skin collagen renewal, reverse skin thinning to fight fine lines, wrinkles and crepey skin. They also help to correct uneven skin pigmentation. The best non-prescription retinoid to fight skin aging is retinol as in my Retinol Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Cream. Retinol is less irritating than prescription tretinoin.
- Glycolic Acid: Is the best alpha hydroxy acid to fight skin aging. It is a powerhouse multitasking active that helps build collagen, improve uneven skin color, hydrate dry flakey skin, stimulate skin production of hyaluronic acid, and soften rough or crusty age spots. I have facial products and body care products with professional levels of properly formulated glycolic acid. My products give the best glycolic acid results available today. Glycolic acid can be irritating to sensitive skin.
- Vitamin C: This unsurpassed vitamin and antioxidant is proven to stimulate collagen renewal, fight free radical induced skin damage, and improve dark skin pigment. Vitamin C has a more subtle impact on skin aging than the first two actives that I mentioned, but as a powerful antioxidant, we want to incorporate this into an anti-aging skin care routine. Vitamin C can be irritating to sensitive skin.
- Green Tea Polyphenol Antioxidants: These powerful antioxidants have proven benefit to soothe skin irritation and redness. They are the best antioxidants to fight free radical induced sun damage, and even skin cancer risk. They load skin with protective antioxidants to fight aging, sun and environmental stress. They are easy to add to a skin care routine and even the most sensitive skin will tolerate green tea polyphenols.
- Zinc Oxide Sunscreens: Mineral zinc oxide sunscreens provide physical sun protection. I’ve closely followed the scientific sun protection research for over 30 years, and my opinion is that zinc oxide gives the best level of broad spectrum protection against UV induced skin destruction. UV damage is the number one cause of skin aging. You must block UV rays from penetrating into your skin if you want to fight skin aging.
- Skin Lighteners: These help treat skin hyperpigmentation due to sun damage. The best ingredient is hydroquinone, which is not natural! Other skin lighteners include kojic acid, arbutin, azelaic acid and vitamin C. These ingredients turn down the production rate of skin melanin.
With all of these powerful age-fighting ingredients, product stability and formulation are critical for delivering results. My age fighting products and Sheer Strength Sunscreens are all made in a pharmaceutically approved laboratory, have stable formulations and advanced delivery systems. Suntegrity Sunscreens offer a more natural, oil containing base. They give excellent sun protection for dry skin.
Combine these professional Correcting and Protecting products with natural cleansers and moisturizers for the best from science and nature to fight skin aging.
Or, let me combine ingredients for you in my kits. For example, my Ultimate Pigment and Sun Damage Repair Kit combines about every ingredient in a synergistic skin care routine that gets results,
The Ultimate Pigment and Sun Damage Repair Kit has made an amazing difference in my longstanding Poikiloderma of Civatte skin condition. I've tried so many products that never made much difference. IPL and Microneedling were of no benefit. I'd almost given up after ten years of trying to find relief for this condition while spending a few thousand dollars doing so. The combination of these products has reduced my symptoms by 50% in two months! I 've reduced the amount of heavy coverage makeup on the lower face and neck areas. as the discoloration fades. Plus the kit has improved the overall texture and appearance of my entire face. I anticipate even more improvement over the next few months. Very grateful I took the chance on this kit as it has exceeded expectations and is helping me regain confidence in my appearance. - Ms. Green Eyes, 2019
Product combination and quality matter, my products get results!
Remember, Complete Skin Care always gets the best results. Dr. Bailey's Complete Skin Care Routines involve the 4 essential skin care steps of,
Build a powerful Complete Skin Care Routine with natural products to fight the signs of skin aging
Dermatologist's Facial Skin Care to Fight Skin Aging
CLEANSE: Wash your skin twice a day. If you want an entirely natural cleansing alternative consider my Naturally Best Bar Soap. My Naturally Hydrating Pore Minimizing Toner adds an extra clean to help products penetrate better while refining pores and soothing skin with hypoallergenic, organic botanicals.
CORRECT: In the morning apply Green Tea Antioxidant Therapy to fight redness and load skin with antioxidants for the day. Layer Vitamin C Anti-Wrinkle Treatment Serum on top. Let each step dry for a minute or so. Twice a week use a skin brightening scrub after washing. The most popular is Bamboo and Clay Thermal Exfoliating Scrub. I like to use it in the morning to enjoy the bright and smooth texture of my skin all day. If you have crepey skin with lines and wrinkles, you can plump them instantly by applying Instantly Luminous Multi-Action Serum before the Green Tea. To fight uneven pigment even more, consider using my Pigment Fading Pads (with or without hydroquinone) before applying Green Tea or the Luminous Serum.
At night apply Retinol Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Cream then right after it apply Glycolic Acid Face Cream. This second product also hydrates your skin. You could just pick one of these products at first. If you have sensitive skin start with the Retinol. If you don’t, you can pick either. The Retinol won’t hydrate so after applying Retinol, apply a layer of the Daily Moisturizing Face Cream. You will find use instructions on the pages for these products. Combining them gives amazing results but is tricky. If you are new to these ingredients pick one and add the other in a month or two.
HYDRATE: where your skin gets dry with Daily Moisturizing Face Cream for Normal to Oily Skin, which is oil free. If you have dry skin and want a natural moisturizing option you can use either my Natural Lotion or Natural Butter. Boost hydration with a few drops of one of my Facial Booster Oils. Areas of greatest dryness include the cheeks and around the eyes. The T-zone of oily complexions may contain adequate oil gland production and will hydrate your skin naturally.
PROTECT: Every day wear broad spectrum mineral zinc oxide sunscreen. Yep, every day on all exposed skin because UV exposure of even small amounts starts a cascade of chemical events inside skin that result in collagen destruction. Sun also causes age spots and uneven skin pigment. Pick your sunscreen to match your skin type and needs. The most popular options for the face include:
Sheer Strength Pure Physical Spray SPF 50+ Sunscreen is a favorite that is invisible and easy to spread.
Sheer Strength Pure Physical Invisible SPF 50+ Sunscreen is weightless and easy to use for all complexion types.
Sheer Strength Pure Physical Tinted Matte SPF 50+ Sunscreen (a favorite for oily complexions with oil absorbing technology.)
Suntegrity 5 in 1 BB Cream SPF 30 Sunscreen: tinted pure mineral protection in a natural formulation. This is my personal favorite sunscreen. It looks so good on my skin I even wear it at night!
If you wear face makeup, dust mineral makeup powder on top of your sunscreen, it can provide you with added protection from UV rays.
Dermatologist's Body Skin Care to Fight Skin Aging
CLEANSE, CORRECT and HYDRATE with the Ultra-Fast Body Smoothing Triple Action Kit. High strength glycolic acid gets the job done to help fight age spots and crepey skin. If you prefer natural products, use the Salux Cloth and one of my Natural Shower Gels or Bar Soap to exfoliate age spots and flakey skin. Then apply my Natural Lotion or Butter within the magic 3 minutes after toweling skin dry. Know that body skin is uniquely tough and retinoids, antioxidants and vitamin C can’t really penetrate. That leaves us with glycolic acid, which works beautifully to fight ageing concerns on body skin. Alternatively, you can simply use physical exfoliation with a Salux cloth and hydration followed by daily sun protection.
DiNardo Joseph, et. al., Clinical and Histological Effects of Glycolic Acid at Different Concentrations and pH Levels, Dermatolol Surg, 1996;22:421-424
Babilas Philipp, et. al., Cosmetic and dermatologic use of alpha hydroxy acids, Journal of the German Society of Dermatology, 2012 (10): 488-491
Beasley Donathan G, et. al. Characterization of the UVA Protection Provided by Avobenzone, Zinc Oxide, and Titanium Dioxide in Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen Products, Am J Clin Dermatol 2010; 11 (6): 413-421
Maier T., Korting H.C., Sunscreens – Which and What for? Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2005; 18:253-268
Farris Patricia K, Topical Vitamin C: A Useful Agent for Treating Photoaging and Other Dermatologic Conditions, Dermatol Surg 2005:31:814-818
Varani James et. al., Vitamin A Antagonizes Decreased Cell Growth and Elevated Collagen-Degrading Matrix Metalloproteinases and Stimulates Collagen Accumulation in Naturally Aged Human Skin, J Invest Dermatol 114:480-486, 2000
Katiyar Santosh K et. al., Green Tea Polyphenol Treatment to Human Skin Prevents Formation of Ultraviolet Light B-induced Pyrimidine Dimers in DNA, Clin Cancer Res 2000,6: 3864-3869
Tsukahara Kazue, et. al., The Effect of Sunscreen on Skin Elastase Activity Induced by Ultraviolet-A Irradiation, Biol Pharm. Bull 28(12) 2302-2307 (2005)
About The Author
Cynthia Bailey, MD
Dr. Bailey Skin Care
425 South Main St