FACIAL PRODUCTS FOR CHEMOTHERAPY SKIN CARE
By Cynthia Bailey MD. This page was updated on Sun, Sep 15, 2019
Dermatologist-Recommended Skin Care Products for Sensitive Skin Undergoing Chemotherapy Treatments
In 2013, at the age of 55, I was diagnosed with hereditary breast cancer. After undergoing a strong series of chemotherapy treatments with multiple chemotherapy drugs, I personally and professionally understand the challenges chemotherapy patients face.
As a dermatologist and patient, I used my experience as a "living laboratory." The results are the products and recommendations you see below. They are practical, highly effective, and custom-designed for chemotherapy patients, so you have one less burden during this trying time. I was able to keep my skin comfortable and healthy while I underwent chemotherapy. I want to help you to do the same.
Understanding the Effects of Chemotherapy on Your Skin
- Cancer treatment with chemotherapy is a stress to your entire body, including your skin. Your skin is your body's biggest organ and it is constantly exposed to potentially harmful elements in your outside world.
- You need to keep your skin healthy during your chemotherapy treatments because your skin needs to protect you from outside stressors such as germs, chemicals, and harsh weather. Remember, during chemotherapy your immune system is weakened and this is not the time for problems with your skin. My skin care kit and products are designed to support your skin, giving it the best chance to stay healthy and strong, and to keep you well-protected while you undergo your chemo treatments.
- On chemotherapy, your skin may become drier and more fragile than ever before. Your nails and cuticles may become brittle, your skin and nails may become discolored from the medicines you are receiving, and you may even become more sun sensitive.
If you take good care of your skin while you are on chemotherapy, it is possible to have soft, healthy, comfortable, and attractive skin throughout your treatment process. Even more important, healthy skin is essential for your physical well-being during chemo. Dry, sensitive skin is prone to eczema, itching, and sores that can become infected.
Remember, your skin is a huge organ. Its exposure to the germs, chemicals, and the air of the outside world make you vulnerable when it is damaged. During chemotherapy, your immune system is suppressed and you are more vulnerable than ever before − which means you need healthy skin to protect you and keep you well.
How to Keep Your Skin Healthy When Undergoing Chemo Treatments
The most effective way to keep your skin healthy during chemotherapy is to diligently use a gentle, hydrating skin care routine every day. Follow these 4 simple, key skin care tips daily during your chemotherapy:
- Use only gentle cleansers.
- Use only hypoallergenic products (those that don’t have fragrances, or complex or irritating ingredients).
- Use warm − not steaming hot − water on your skin when it is suffering from dryness.
- Always apply a deeply hydrating moisturizer right after toweling dry.
If your chemo medicines make you more sun sensitive, then you will also need to apply a good sunscreen every day. Remember, even sun exposure through a window can cause a drug-induced sun sensitivity, which can lead to a rash. Your sunscreen needs to be broad spectrum, blocking UVA and UVB. I have included products that are gentle on your skin, yet strong against the sun's UV rays, in the list below. You can also view my full selection of sunscreens on the Sun Protection Products page.
Once I became a cancer patient, I realized that there were no truly hypoallergenic skin care systems for chemo patients. I created my Chemo Skin Care Kit for myself. I am so happy that it has proven to be a comfort to other chemo patients too.
"My mom had beautiful skin and then chemotherapy and radiation made her skin hypersensitive to everything. I am so grateful for your cancer friendly products. They were a 'life saver' for us; when you are dealing with everything else about cancer the last thing you want is an extra problem.
Another friend of mine who has stage 4 lung cancer is also using your kit and it is helping him. He's a guy so for him to 'sing the praises' about skin care is a huge thing!" - Patricia A., Sonoma County, 2016
"I'm loving these products better than anything I have ever tried, and I have tried them all!" - Kathleen S.
Get the best results when you build a Dr. Bailey Complete Skin Care Routine which always involves the 4 essential skin care steps of:
Use my products below to build a complete skin care routine to help keep your skin healthy while you undergo chemotherapy.