FACIAL PRODUCTS FOR AGING SKIN
By Cynthia Bailey MD.
Dermatologist's Anti-Aging Facial Skin Care
If you are looking to erase facial wrinkles or age spots, improve irregular pigmentation, and enjoy an overall brighter complexion and younger-looking skin, my anti-aging skin care products will help.
Every major skin care brand has anti-aging products. Some are good, and others are worthless.
How can you tell if an anti-aging skin care product will work?
It is hard to rate anti-aging skin care products based on the label or the advertising promises. You need to know the research, the chemistry of the active ingredients, and the quality of all of the product ingredients. Ideally you want to know something about the chemist who makes the products and the lab where they are produced. Even then, it doesn't hurt to be able to enlist a lot of volunteers to try the products so that you can see the results on a variety of complexions. That's what I do, and that's how I developed my Complete Anti-Aging Skin Care Routines. My collection of anti-aging skin care products really, really works!
The sooner you start an effective anti-aging skin care routine the better - and it is never too late.
You want to 'stop the clock' on skin aging as soon as possible! Use only trusted products with proven scientific results. Whether you are just looking for the best sunscreen to stop additional sun damage, or you want help to soften wrinkles, improve uneven skin pigment and support healthy skin collagen renewal, I know what works best.
I've followed the scientific studies for over 30 years, and know the most important products that need to be included in a powerful anti-aging skin care routine.
What are the best age fighting skin care products?
- A broad spectrum sunscreen. Sunscreen needs to be worn daily on all exposed skin. It should be labeled as 'broad spectrum', ideally be an SPF 30 or higher, and contain 5% or more zinc oxide. This is how you fight UV skin damage that leads to premature skin aging.
- High strength pharmaceutical grade actives capable of stimulating new collagen formation in your skin. The only three proven ingredients for collagen renewal are retinoids, vitamin C, and glycolic acid. Most products on the market are not created with enough of these ingredients or they do not use them in stable formulations. My products are made with high concentration stable actives in an FDA-approved facility!
- Antioxidants - the best are green tea polyphenols and vitamin C. These two antioxidants have solid scientific evidence proving they help fight skin damage that leads to the signs of skin aging. Again, most products on the market contain a fairy dusting of these ingredients incorrectly formulated. They will not deliver the promised results. My products contain high concentrations of stable, pharmaceutical-grade antioxidants and are produced in an FDA-approved facility. You’ll see the transformation in the mirror once you add them to your complete anti-aging skin care routine.
- Skin brighteners. These include physical exfoliating scrubs, brushes, or sponges, as well as active ingredients that remodel and brighten your complexion, such as retinoids and AHA/BHAs like glycolic acid.
I'm proud to have the best products that will get you the best results available today - I know that you can't find a more effective anti-aging skin care routine anywhere. The products below represent the best quality anti-aging wrinkle creams, skin brighteners, sunscreens, antioxidant products, and all the products you need for skin rejuvenation. Build your complete anti-aging skin care routine with my proven products and see what a difference it makes!
The essential steps of Dr.Bailey's Complete Skin Care Routine include:
Cleanse: Wash your skin twice a day. Chose a cleanser matched to your skin type. The Daily Foaming Facial Cleanser is good for normal and oily complexions. The Extremely Gentle Foaming Facial Cleanser is ideal for normal to sensitive complexions. It’s my personal favorite cleanser of all time!
Alternate one of these cleansers with the Calming Zinc Bar if you suffer from rosacea or seborrhea. If you want an entirely natural skin cleansing product, use my All Natural Bar Soap. For extra clean skin that is best able to absorb you product ingredients, use the Naturally Hydrating Pore Minimizing Toner on a cotton ball after washing with cleanser.
Correct: In the morning, plump skin limpness and fine wrinkling by applying Instantly Luminous Serum. Follow up with a thin layer of Green Tea Antioxidant Therapy to fight redness and load your skin with antioxidants for the day. Layer Vitamin C on top. Let each step dry for a minute or so.
At night, apply Retinol Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Cream. Apply Glycolic Acid Face Cream immediately after. This second product also hydrates your skin. If you have sensitive skin, start with the Retinol. Combining these 2 products gives amazing results, but it's tricky. If you are new to these ingredients, pick one and add the other in a month or two.
Hydrate: Use the Daily Moisturizing Face Cream for Normal to Oily Skin, or Daily Moisturizing Face Cream for Normal to Dry Skin on areas of dryness. Pick your product based on your skin type. You may be able to hydrate and correct your skin if you are using the Glycolic Acid Face Cream because it is made with a moisturizing base. Some of the sunscreens listed below may also hydrate, saving you time. Dehydrated skin benefits from 'smart' skin hydrators as are found in Instantly Luminous Multi-Action Serum applied right after washing skin and toweling dry.
Protect: Wear broad spectrum sunscreen daily, especially on all exposed skin. Even the slightest UV exposure will start chemical events that result in skin collagen destruction. The sun also causes age spots and uneven skin pigment. Pick your sunscreen to match your skin type and needs. The most popular facial options include:
- Sheer Strength Pure Physical Spray SPF 50+ Sunscreen. It's a favorite that is invisible and easy to spread.
- Sheer Strength Pure Physical Invisible SPF 50+ Sunscreen. Another favorite that has a light weight feel on your skin.
- Sheer Strength Pure Physical Tinted Matte SPF 50+ Sunscreen. It's a favorite go-to for oily complexions with oil absorbing technology and tinting to hide complexion flaws.
- Suntegrity 5 in 1 BB Cream SPF 30 - tinted pure mineral protection and excellent skin hydration in a natural formulation. This is my personal favorite sunscreen now that I am in my 60s and my skin is drier than when I was younger. It looks so good on my skin, I even wear it at night if I am going out and want to look my best!
- EltaMD UV Clear - a good facial product for all skin types.
- Solbar Zinc is water-resistant for sweating or swimming!
- Citrix. It is also water-resistant, and with a dryer feel than Solbar Zinc.
Some products can serve more than one step and are listed below under every step they can address.
The most important products in your anti-aging skin care routine are used in steps 2 and 4, which are the steps for Correct and Protect.
How do you get started and chose products for anti-aging skin care?
- Pick your cleanser based on your skin type and how the product makes your skin feel. Step 1, the Cleanser should prepare your skin and support the products you use in the Correct step of your skin care routine.
- Pick products for step 2, Correct, based on your goals, budget, and how your skin responds to the rejuvenating ingredients.
- Pick a moisturizer based on your skin type to balance your skin’s hydration for step 3, Hydrate.
- Pick your sunscreen for step 4, Protect, based on your skin type and product preference.
I provide clear information on the benefits and usage of all of my products directly on each product page. My information is based on what I have seen over my years of caring for thousands of patients, each of whom has a unique complexion.
My goal is to help you 'stop the clock' on your skin's aging, and these products will help you do it!
DiNardo Joseph, et. al., Clinical and Histological Effects of Glycolic Acid at Different Concentrations and pH Levels, Dermatolol Surg, 1996;22:421-424
Babilas Philipp, et. al., Cosmetic and dermatologic use of alpha hydroxy acids, Journal of the German Society of Dermatology, 2012 (10): 488-491
Beasley Donathan G, et. al. Characterization of the UVA Protection Provided by Avobenzone, Zinc Oxide, and Titanium Dioxide in Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen Products, Am J Clin Dermatol 2010; 11 (6): 413-421
Maier T., Korting H.C., Sunscreens – Which and What for? Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2005; 18:253-268
Farris Patricia K, Topical Vitamin C: A Useful Agent for Treating Photoaging and Other Dermatologic Conditions, Dermatol Surg 2005:31:814-818
Varani James et. al., Vitamin A Antagonizes Decreased Cell Growth and Elevated Collagen-Degrading Matrix Metalloproteinases and Stimulates Collagen Accumulation in Naturally Aged Human Skin, J Invest Dermatol 114:480-486, 2000
Katiyar Santosh K et. al., Green Tea Polyphenol Treatment to Human Skin Prevents Formation of Ultraviolet Light B-induced Pyrimidine Dimers in DNA, Clin Cancer Res 2000,6: 3864-3869
Tsukahara Kazue, et. al., The Effect of Sunscreen on Skin Elastase Activity Induced by Ultraviolet-A Irradiation, Biol Pharm. Bull 28(12) 2302-2307 (2005)