Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream™ 10%, Extra Strength
A full 10% benzoyl peroxide is the highest concentration of benzoyl peroxide available over the counter. Benzoyl peroxide is the most effective acne treatment medicine for killing the acne causing bacteria P. acnes (now called C. acnes). This alcohol-free benzoyl peroxide cream is touch on acne.
Subscribe and Save recommendation - Deliver every 3 months.
The bacteria called C. acnes plays a big role in causing acne vulgaris, the common form of acne.
Benzoyl peroxide is more effective at treating acne-causing bacteria than prescription and expensive topical and oral antibiotics.
Medical study after medical study continue to show benzoyl peroxide is the one acne medicine that can't be beat. It's good news because it is safe, well-tested, available without a prescription and affordable.
Benzoyl peroxide is more effective at killing the acne causing bacteria than the topical prescription antibiotic medicines because the germ has become resistant to the antibiotics. That's why I always recommend benzoyl peroxide to treat pimples in my acne patients.
Tolerant skin benefits from a full 10% of this powerful and effective acne treatment medicine.
Important Information that Dermatologist Dr. Cynthia Bailey Wants You to Know About Benzoyl Peroxide Products
Benzoyl peroxide is my top choice to treat pimples for my acne patients suffering from the classic form of acne called acne vulgaris. I have my patients apply it once or twice a day to the entire area of acne-prone skin. If they only have occasional pimples then benzoyl peroxide can be used as a spot treatment.
This 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream is an integral part of the synergy in my Extra Strength Ultimate Acne Solutions Kit. The 2.5% cream is used in my regular strength Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit. I recommend always starting on lower strength products to test your complexion's tolerance to these powerful ingredients. These kits also includes a glycolic and salicylic cleanser and treatment pads.
As with all benzoyl peroxide products, this cream will fade colored fabric such as your towels, pillowcases, and clothing.
If you need more information about treating your acne, please see my Acne Tips & Advice pages and the Directions tab with Instructions and Tips for Success.
Apply Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10% Extra Strength once or twice a day to all of your acne prone skin after washing. You can spot treat pimples, however, Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10% Extra Strength prevents new acne lesions from developing by killing the acne causing bacteria C. acnes.
Twice a day: wash with a cleanser matched to your skin type such as the Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser, rinse well with warm water and then towel dry. Apply a very thin layer of the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream to all acne prone areas of your complexion.
This acne treatment cream is an integral part of my Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit Extra Strength. As with all benzoyl peroxide products, the cream will fade colored fabric.
Dermatologist Answers Commonly Asked Questions About Acne Skin Care with Benzoyl Peroxide:
Can I use the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream with my other skin care products?
Usually you can. You should always use OIL FREE products on acne prone skin. Oil free moisturizers, sunscreens and makeup may be applied after the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream. Allow the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream to dry then apply your products.
Can I use the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream with topical medicines my doctor has prescribed for my acne?
Usually yes. That said, benzoyl peroxide can inactivate some medicines so check with your prescribing doctor.
What do I do if my skin becomes dry or irritated while I am using the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream?
Give your skin a short break. If your skin begins to feel dry, stop using the benzoyl peroxide and just wash with a mild soap for a few days. When your skin feels normal again begin use the Benzoyl Peroxide Cream just once a day for several weeks and then increase back to twice a day. If you still develop dry skin, you may be sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. See below for trouble shooting advice.
Can I use the Benzoyl Peroxide Cream if I become pregnant?
You need to ask your doctor. Benzoyl peroxide is FDA Category C meaning that if your doctor feels that the benefits outweigh the risks they may deem it appropriate for you. Benzoyl peroxide is minimally absorbed through the skin. It is converted to benzoic acid in the body. Benzoic acid is a food additive. That said, its safety is not entirely guaranteed. Many acne ingredients have not been tested on pregnant women and no one will ever be bold enough to test things on pregnant women. Lower concentrations of benzoyl peroxide and small areas of skin treatment are prudent.
Can I use a wash cloth or Facial Exfoliating Sponge with my facial cleanser if I have acne?
Yes. I particularly like exfoliating facial sponges since they help remove loose blackheads from clogged pores. Always make sure anything you wash your skin with is clean and dries between uses since they can harbor germs.
Tips For Success using Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream
Trouble shooting and other things you should know when using benzoyl peroxide
General recommendations for acne treatment products:
- Always start on the lowest concentration products if you think you may have sensitive skin. 2.5% benzoyl peroxide is the ideal starting point for this medicine. It is easier to work your way up in strength than to figure out why your skin has become dry.
- Never apply acne medicines to chapped, injured skin. This includes sunburns, windburns, or after procedures such as face peels, harsh facials, waxing, harsh facial masks etc.
- Some parts of the face may be more sensitive to acne medicines than others. Use milder products on sensitive areas. For example, the cheek bone and jaw line are sensitive in some people, for others it is the cheek area along the sides of the nose.
- Do not use medicated acne products if you think you may be pregnant without asking your doctor first.
The benzoyl peroxide medicine in the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream can and will bleach fabric! Do not apply it under colored clothing and do not wipe it on colored towels. It is also best to sleep with a white pillowcase since it will bleach colored cases as well.
As with all medicine, some people can develop allergic reactions. This can occur to the benzoyl peroxide. Allergic people develop a dry irritation with redness on the treated skin within several days or weeks after applying one of the medicines. The reaction occurs every time they use the medicine. Some dryness with benzoyl peroxide is normal and can be due to irritation. To determine if dryness is due to allergic reaction or irritation, do the following 'use test':
- Stop using the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream for several weeks. Wash your face with a mild soap and do not use any harsh products on the skin.
- When your skin feels normal, restart the Benzoyl Peroxide Cream on half of your face. If your skin becomes red then you may not be able to tolerate benzoyl peroxide, either because of irritation or allergy.
- If you think you are unable to use the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream you may still be able to tolerate other ingredients useful against acne such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid and/or retinol. Options include Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser and the Salicylic and Glycolic Acid Acne Treatment Pads, Glycolic Acid Facial Skin Care Kit and my Retinol Night Cream. Let your skin rest for several weeks until it is no longer irritated then test one of these ingredients or products.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream 10% Extra Strength (2 oz.): Carbomer, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Steric Acid. Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 10%.